While it seems like were in the never-ending winter from hell in Vancouver, St. Patrick’s Day is upon us and it’s a great reason to get in your green and take to the streets. Even though there won’t be the St. Patrick’s Day Parade this year, there are lots of ways to celebrate the patron saint of Ireland, throw back a few green beers while you let your inner Leprechaun out this weekend.
1. Thursday, March 16: St. Patrick’s Day Eve Party featuring a midnight balloon drop and live music at The Blarney Stone pub – 216 Carrall Street.
2. Friday, March 17: the St. Patrick’s Day Festival in and around The Blarney Stone pub at 216 Carrall Street from 9 am until 3 pm, this outdoor festival features live music, hula hoopers, face painting, bagpipers, Irish dancing and stilts walkers. Perfect for the whole family. Live Music that will take you from day to night by The Doolins, The Loaded Stones, The Sheets, Mike Chisolm, Michael Averill, Nick Farrer, and U4!
Admission: for the Irish Brunch prior to 11 am is $20.
General Admission: to the pub until 3 pm is $25 and then $35 until 8 pm.
3. March 17th – 18th: Lucky March Market – happening at the Lonsdale Quay Market in North Vancouver, the Cheshire Cheese Restaurant kicks off festivities with their annual dinner on the 17th with entertainment from Celtic dancers and live musicians. Try out some samples on Saturday from Sharky’s Irish Stew and Green Leaf Brewing from 1230pm – 130pm at the Lonsdale Artisan Farmers’ Market. You might even run into a leprechaun or two.
4. CelticFest Vancouver is Western Canada’s largest annual Celtic Festival celebrating the seven Celtic nations’ kinship and community. Come ‘paint the town green’ at CelticFest Vancouver with their annual St. Patrick’s Day celebrations! New this year is the Celtic Village at Robson Street and Robson Square featuring traditional music, dancing, piping and fun!
March 17 &18 (Saturday & Sunday): CelticFest Vancouver is presenting a new free community event at Robson Square that runs March 17 & 18 from 11 am – 11 pm where you can celebrate all things Irish (Welsh and Scottish too)!
Headliner Friday: Delhi 2 Dublin
CelticFest Vancouver also presents a series of premiere events celebrating Irish music, dance and theatre:
- Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir – March 17 at Christ Church Cathedral
- Celtic Fest Ceilidh – March 18 at St Mary’s Ukrainian Cultural Centre
- Belfast Girls Play – March 15-18 at East Vancouver Cultural Centre
- Almost a Step Mom – March 14, 16 & 18 at Havana Theatre
- Carlos Nunez – April 7 at Vogue Theatre
For full event schedules, info and tickets visit Celtic Fest Vancouver.
5. Saturday, March 18th: BMO St. Patrick’s Day 5K Run
Put a little Irish in your step and register for the BMO St. Patrick’s Day 5K Run, the most colourfully green race you’ll ever see around scenic Stanley Park starting at 9:30 am. Stick around for the post-race after party where you can drink some green beer, enjoy some good food and listen to a DJ spin some tunes with friends at Granville Island Brewing. Prizes will be awarded to the fastest female and male runners and of course to the best costumes. Runners go all out in full St. Patrick’s Day costumes, so don’t shy away from getting creative, even if you’re on the sidelines. Proceeds from the event support Diabetes Canada, all the more reason to lace up and run!
Located: 610 Pipeline Road near the Stanley Park miniature railway.
More details and registration click here: http://www.stpatricks5k.com
If you are in Burnaby or in the mood for a 7 miler, there is the Green Sock Half and Shamrock’n Race happening in Burnaby Lake Regional Park as well.
6. Saturday, March 18th: Go on an Irish Pub Crawl
Here’s something you can do with friends in any city you might be celebrating. Plan a fun pub crawl on the day and get your drinking on like the Irish**. Whether you decide to buy tickets for a pub crawl, such as one with the Vancouver Brewery Tours from 4-7pm or go on an adventure of your choice, the Lower Mainland has tons of Irish-themed bars. I found a round up on 604now.com with the best Irish bars in Vancouver to get you started, check it out here. And a few spots in New Westminster to create your own from here. For those who really like to set the scene I’ve heard you can hire a bagpiper for your pub crawl or green-themed house party for a truly authentic grand entrance.
** If you’re not taking a tour, choose spots near each other that are either walking distance or that you can catch a cab from.
Natalie’s St. Paddy’s Day Giveaway
We want to send you and a friend on a Craft Beer Tour to kick off your St Paddy’s Day celebrations with The Vancouver Brewery Tours. You could WIN 2 tickets valued at $79.99 each visiting Strathcona Beer Co, Off the Rail Brewing and Strange Fellows Brewing.
To Enter: LISTEN LIVE AT 1245PM TO CALL IN TO WIN!!!! Tell us the best green getup you’ve ever seen for your chance to WIN.
Good Luck!! Well if you’re Irish I guess you don’t need it ha.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!
**Contest Rules & Regulations**
The winner agrees to abide by the rules and regulations outlined here http://www.jrfm.com/contestrules/ for pick up at #300-1401 West 8th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V6H 1C9. Office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm.
All prizes must be claimed within 60 days at the offices of CJJR-FM and are non-transferable. After 60 days, prize becomes the property of CJJR-FM, to do with as it may determine, including awarding it to another contestant, and CJJR-FM shall be released and discharged from any liability or responsibility in this regard.
Only ONE member of the household will be eligible to qualify or win in any single Contest.
By entering the Contest, all persons are deemed to have read and to have accepted these rules and regulations.