Hallelujah the sunshine has finally arrived and it looks like (fingers crossed) it’s here to stay!!! YAHOO!!!!!! With the weather going from 0 to 60, it’s going to be a huge adjustment for your body and it’s important to transition wisely. The conversation of sunscreen always comes up this time of year with questions from which brand, to what spf, how much to apply and when to apply. Unfortunately skin cancer is the fastest growing cancer and the main culprit being the sun’s harmful rays. Protecting your skin from the sun’s rays is a must and choosing natural methods and products instead of chemical laden items is key. I have tips that will help you stay sun safe this summer. From prevention with natural sunscreens, effective supplements and how you can actually eat your sunscreen, the right accessories to arming you with expert advice from Registered Dietician Karlene Karst, you’ll be ready to venture outdoors and let the wind flow freely through your hair.
- Stay hydrated at all times! Personally I find it difficult at times to keep my water intake levels up to where they should be but with the new Brita hard sided bottle with replaceable water filter, I can fill up anywhere and not worry about chlorine in my h20. The great news is that just ONE Brita Bottle filter can replace up to 300 plastic water bottles, so you can feel good about your new accessory. AND not only that, but EVERY purchase of a Brita ME to WE statement bottle like this one, provide a year’s supply of clean water to a person in Irkaat, Kenya. Coconut water also helps to rehydrate the body with electrolytes. It’s important to stay hydrated when the temperature rises.
- Limit Direct Sun Exposure 15 minutes of sunshine is all you need to get the adequate amount of vitamin d levels. And I’m sure by now you’ve heard that the hours between 12p -3p have the strongest rays so I would recommend limiting sun exposure during those hours or seek shade whenever possible.
- Foods that Prevent Burning – Omega-3 from cold water fish like salmon, mackerel and anchovies is your #1 food defence to help protect against sunburn. Omega-3s help the body deal with inflammation and sunburn is a form of inflammation. Karlene recommends including a daily source of Omega-3 such as 1 tsp of Sea-licious, or consume fish like salmon and halibut multiple times per week. Coconut oil can be applied both topically and taken orally or used in cooking as replacement for other oils that are less beneficial. Karlene notes that coconut oil is a healthy saturated fat and therefore helps to lubricate the cells, reduce water loss from our skin keeping it more moist and helps improve skin’s tolerance to UV rays.
- Eat You Sunscreen – Antioxidants- just as squeezing lemon on an apple will help prevent browning, the antioxidants work in our body to help protect against sun damage. Karlene notes that the most potent antioxidant in nature is astaxanthin found in algae–since we aren’t likely eating algae, we can consume red fish and seafood like shrimp that does eat algae as one of their main sources of nutrition. Other potent antioxidants come from the oil limone found in the rind/peel of citrus fruits like lemons, oranges and grapefruit. The rind can easily be added into smoothies. Karlene highly recommends astaxanthin antioxidants as another must-have. You can pick up their Sea-licious Complete Astaxanthin antioxidant, found at your local health food store, that is a naturally-occuring carotenoid found in algae. Karlene also recommends eating almonds before hitting the beach as they are one of the best sources of the flavanoid quercetin known to protect skin against sun damage. You could also eat watermelon (a fun summer fruit), bell peppers, sweet potatoes, blueberries, leafy greens (spinach and kale). So many of the fruits and veggies that are grown seasonally can help protect skin from sunburn.
- Protect your skin – Remember the foods will help improve your skin’s tolerance to the sun, help minimize sunburn, however if you are going to be in the sun for extended periods of time you want to be smart and protect your skin with a healthy sunscreen. Karlene recommends a clean sunscreen without the toxic chemicals like parabens. I like Kiss My Face, especially for kids. Or, if you are feeling like a little DIY, Karlene suggests making your own with beeswax, coconut oil, and zinc oxide.
- Protect your eyes – Sunnies are a must this time of year. I head to one of my favourite local shops, Eyeland Framemakers for the latest, well-made and unique sunglasses that will last for season after season!
- Protect your body and stay on trend – One piece bathing suits are all the rage right now, they provide more protection from the sun and bonus they look flattering on every body type! Swimco has some fashionable options in store and online and their mission is to help you “feel good half naked.” They have over 150 swimwear brands and everything from beach accessories like towels and totes to beachwear like coverups and rash guards with UV protect. Perfect for when you hit the beach.
- Don’t forget your hat! Keep rays off your head with a baseball cap or for full protection choose a sun hat that are also very trendy right now. Nordstrom has some fantastic options that you can choose from.
- Playtime with the kids – Vancouver-based Domestic Objects are taking fun back to basics with handmade play tents that are perfect for your kids to play in while protecting them from the sun. Domestic Objects play tents are even popping up in Hollywood, where celebrity blogger and tastemaker Tori Spelling recently embraced Jagger’s concept for her own children.
Natalie’s Sun Safe Giveaway
1. Sea-licious Package includes 1 large 500ml of Sea-licious liquid (retail value $42.99) and 2 bottles of Sea-licious Complete Astaxanthin ($28.99). Both products will last through summer. You’ll also receive a copy of Karlene’s book, The Full Fat Solution. Value: over $90!
2. Domestic Objects wants to engage your children in imaginative play by giving you the chance to WIN 1 Kids Play Tent Teepee Handmade in Grey/Gray and White Stripe Designer Cotton Fabric. Comes With Padded Mat Base AND Two Pillows! Value: $265
To Enter: Tell us what you are most excited to do in the sunshine & which prize pack you’d like to WIN in the comments below!!!
Good luck and enjoy the sunshine!!!
Contest is now closed, congratulations to Erin, Jesse and Alison!
**Contest Rules & Regulations**
The winner agrees to abide by the rules and regulations outlined here http://www.jrfm.com/contestrules/ for pick up at #300-1401 West 8th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V6H 1C9. Office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm.
All prizes must be claimed within 60 days at the offices of CJJR-FM and are non-transferable. After 60 days, prize becomes the property of CJJR-FM, to do with as it may determine, including awarding it to another contestant, and CJJR-FM shall be released and discharged from any liability or responsibility in this regard.
Only ONE member of the household will be eligible to qualify or win in any single Contest.
By entering the Contest, all persons are deemed to have read and to have accepted these rules and regulations.