By now all of the biggest summer festivals have released their lineups; with performances by Little Big Town, Toby Keith, Aaron Pritchett, Willie Nelson and many, many more it’s sure to draw another HUGE crowd willing and ready to camp through four days of festival mayhem! And with four days of social media worthy snaps and limited access to washroom facilities, a few ‘alterations’ to our regular maintenance routine are most certainly in order! Along with my festival prep tips I have your guide to festival season that will put you in the centre of the action. It’ll almost be like to summer is revolving around you!
The best way to make sure you spend your time frolicking with friends, and enjoying the bands and DJs, is to be prepared. Here are a few tips to keep you healthy and ready for a full weekend of fun!
1. First and foremost – Hydrate. Between the sun, a few too many beverages and lack of sleep, dehydration can take over. If you’re camping, be sure to pack a few electrolyte boosting drinks like PC® Tropical Punch Electrolyte Beverage with Coconut Water. And there’s a new detox water with a full shot of pure aloe juice thanks to ACTIValoe® technology. Definitely throw some of those in your bag.
2. It’s likely that the last thing you’ll want the morning of a festival is a hot coffee. Get the same boost (that’s also easily portable) with pre-made cold-brew! You can get them at many local coffee shops, and now at Real Canadian Superstore! Helpful hint: try mixing the PC® Cold Brew Single Origin Black Coffee with some ice, Kahlua and almond milk for the perfect morning treat!
3. Plan ahead with your food choices, especially if you have any restrictions. If you know that your favourite food trucks are there, skip out on packing lunch and dinner items and focus on breakfasts, snacks or drinks!
4. Pack snacks! Be sure to pack healthy snacks like nuts, fruit and homemade granola that can keep without needing a refrigerator or coveted cooler space!
5. There’s a kit from Saje that literally has everything you need to stay social media ready without any water. Whether you’re in between performances and need an uplifting boost of Arrive Revived or want to skip the bathroom line with a drop of Safe Hands this kit will have you concert ready, naturally. Exercise your freedom to dance the day and evening away listening to your favourite artists with a wellness companion on the go.
6. Festivals don’t start the day the music does. Pre-prep your glow to be ready for all the Insta stories! To minimize worry about streaks, go with something that builds like Jergens® Natural Glow®.
7. Keep you make-up simple. The less you already have on your face, the less you have to worry about touch-ups throughout the day!
8. Between bands or DJ’s, lineups for food, and trying to find your friends in a crowd, skincare comes in last-place for importance. With a buildup of dirt, dance-sweat and probably a few spilled drinks, reaching for a quick face-mask like the Biore® Self-heating One-Minute Mask helps to keep your skin looking fresh, even when you aren’t!
9. Pick a hairstyle that’s easy to transition day-to-day, and definitely make use of accessories for those full-weekend festivals! Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make a gorgeous flower crown from the experts at Wanderlust: click here.
10. With the summer sun already doing a number on your locks, stick with products that will help repair damage, like the John Frieda® Frizz Ease® Miraculous Recovery® line. The Miraculous Recovery® Deep Conditioner is also a great post-festival treatment to get those tresses back in shape!
11. If you want to give your face a good wash, my go to natural skincare La Biosthetique has a travel cleanser, toner and moisturizer that is great for everyone and fits nicely in your purse.
12. Throw in some Burt’s Bees Grapefruit facial towelettes – that are 99.1% natural and smell amazing!
13. You also want to look like you’ve been to Coachella and know whats up while you’re rocking out and brands like Gentle Fawn, Lovers and Friends and Free People will help you stay trendy and stylish.
14. You can also stay a step ahead of the crowds in vibrant sandals and embellished summer boots to match from A.S.98.
1. Brown sandal – flat sandal with studs and leather stitches details: $225
2. Green sandal – ankle flat sandal with tassels: $255
3. Beige boot – studded laced combat boots with decorative strap and buckle: $385
4. Blue bootie – flat bootie with decorative oversized stitching, studs and eyelets: $335
5. Brown bootie – flat bootie with adjustable strap and buckle: $385
Summer Festival’s Not to be Missed
How about a weekend of non-stop country music? The sixth annual Watershed Music and Camping Festival is back, which is one of the most picturesque, held at Gorge Ampitheatre July 28-30th. Headliners performing above the Columbia River include Luke Bryan, Chris Stapleton, Darius Rucker and many more.
The contemporary country lineup also includes Old Dominion, Randy Houser, Lauren Alaina, Lee Brice, Maddie & Tae, Eric Paslay, William Michael Morgan, the Cadillac Three, Chase Rice, High Valley and newcomer Bailey Bryan.
- Dates: July 28-30th
- Location: The Gorge Amphitheatre – 754 Silica Rd., George, Washington. Find directions here.
- Tickets and info: From $199, http://watershedfest.com/festival-passes/
Shift into summer at the 3rd annual Truck Stop Concert Series. Roll down to Red Truck Brewery and join the JRFM crew under the water tower as we rock out with 6 bands from 4PM to 10PM.
4:30 East Stage – Artist Submission
5:15 West Stage – Sykamore
6:00 East Stage – Kristin Bunyan
6:45 West Stage – The Chris Buck Band
7:30 East Stage – The Dungarees
8:30 West Stage – Drake White & The Big Fire
- Dates: July 15th
- Location: Red Truck Beer Company – East 1st Ave, Vancouver
- Tickets and info: From $35, http://www.truckstopconcertseries.com
Gone Country, Here for the Cure Cancer Fundraiser
This is one party that can’t be missed. One big outdoor concert, for 1 day only! Every single penny raised goes to fight cancer!
The line up for 2017 inculdes: TimHicks, Jojo Mason, Karen Lee Batten, Me & Mae, Dave Hartney Danielle Marie & jaXon Hawks will be DJing.
Must be 19+ to enter and dont’ forget to bring 2 pieces of ID. Beverages available and plenty of food options.
- Dates: July 22nd
- Location: Millennium Park, Cloverdale
- Tickets and info: From $46.99, https://twinscancerfundraising.com/gone-country/overview/
Sunfest is Vancouver Island’s premiere country music festival featuring today’s hottest country music artists. Check out who’s coming this year!
- TOBY KEITH: August 5
- LITTLE BIG TOWN: August 6
- OLD DOMINION: August 3
- CORB LUND: August 4th
- BRETT KISSEL: August 4
- CHRIS JANSON: August 4
- TIM HICKS: August 5
- BOBBY WILLS: August 6
- MADELINE MERLO: August 6
- WASHBOARD UNION: August 3
You can find many more acts performing at Sunfest here: http://www.jrfm.com/events/78504
With camping, on-site activities, food and artisan vendors, and the beautiful Cowichan lake 5 minutes away, Sunfest is not just a music festival, it’s a vacation. The biggest, best vacation in BC!
Laketown Ranch is a new 172 acre multi-use outdoor entertainment complex located in Lake Cowichan, BC. Find more venue information at www.laketownranch.com.
You can buy your tickets online or head to the Canadian Tire in Duncan!
- Dates: August 3-6th
- Location: Laketown Ranch Music & Recreation Park, Lake Cowichan
- Tickets and info: From $85, http://sunfestconcerts.com
Rockin’ River features a variety of notable Canadian country artists including Aaron Pritchett and Washboard Union, Toby Keith, Crystal Shawanda and the Band Perry. You can chill out in the daytime alongside the nearby creek, then grab your daisy dukes and cowboy boots to two-step the night away.
- TOBY KEITH: August 4
- WILLE NELSON & FAMILY: August 6
- THE BAND PERRY: August 5
- BRETT KISSEL August 5
- KACEY MUSGRAVES: August 6
- THE WASHBAORD UNION: August 4
- Tickets available here.
The Canadian line up includes:
ONE MORE GIRL
- Dates: August 3-6
- Location: Merritt, BC
- Tickets and info: From $159, at rockinriverfest.com
Canada Day festivities for the whole family will be offered at Willoughby Community Park on July 1, where the atmosphere will be a little bit country, a little bit barbecue.
The Township of Langley, Langley Events Centre and 93.7 JRfm, are once again partnering to offer the Langley Canada Day JRBQ, along with title sponsor C & D Logistics. The celebration runs from 11am to 6pm on Saturday, July 1, with free admission, free parking, a spray park, food trucks, and a barbecue with proceeds going to Basics for Babies. A Kids’ Zone will keep little ones busy with face painting, mini golf, Pacific Trackless Trains, games, activities and inflatables, and a Canada Day ceremony will take place at 2pm.
Country music performers will take to the main stage to provide live entertainment throughout the day. The newly built Willoughby Amphitheatre will also be in full swing, featuring children’s entertainers, including the Springman Family Band, Dianna David, Norden the Magician, Circus Lab, and the Greater Vancouver Zoo.
- Dates: July 1st
- Location: Willoughby Community Park
- Tickets and info: Free, http://www.tol.ca/About-the-Township/Township-Events/Article/1918/Langley-Canada-Day-150-JRBQ or call 604.882.8800.
40th Vancouver Folk Music Festival
These country acts are more on the deeper roots side, nonetheless Kathleen Edwards and Tift Merritt hold their own. And what’s more authentically country than the Native North America: A Gathering of Indigenous Trailblazers tour bringing some of the very best singer/songwriters from the 1960’s and 70’s together for one last show.
- Dates: July 13-16
- Location: Jericho Beach Park
- Tickets and info: From $65, at thefestival.ticketzone.com
With Pemberton cancelled until further notice, finding a rock and hip-hop fix isn’t as easy as you think. You need to find just the right mix of music and sports and some extreme fun in the sweaty heart of Okanagan Wine Country might just be the perfect fit. This year’s COG has announced headliner Snoop Dogg, Schoolboy Q and many more that you can jam out and dance hard to.
- Dates: July 28-30
- Location: Kelowna
- Tickets and info: From $189.95, at centreofgravity.com
It’s that time of the year again—Wanderlust, producers of the largest yoga lifestyle events in the world returns to Whistler, BC for an unforgettable, four-day retreat. Wanderlust gathers a unique combination of yoga, music, speakers and outdoor adventure to create the ultimate restorative getaway.
From August 3-6 yoga-loving communities from all over the region will be drawn to Whistler to unplug, reconnect and experience the extraordinary. A phenomenal lineup of some of the world’s most outstanding yoga teachers, musicians, meditation instructors and performing artists promise a transformative experience. Attendees can practice a smorgasbord of yoga styles (at all levels), outdoor activities such as hiking, nature runs, kayaking, paddle-boarding and mountain biking, and indulge in wine tastings and organic delicacies.
This year’s epic roster includes:
YOGA—Experience top tier yoga classes taught by the world’s most sought after teachers: Seane Corn, Eoin Finn, Chelsey Korus, Annie Carpenter, Janet Stone, Joan Hyman, Krista Cahill, Vinny Marino and more.
MUSIC – Get down with live performances, part of the Whistler Presents: Outdoor Concert Series featuring the soulful funk of Charles Bradley and his Extraordinaires, the innovative circus performance of Quixotic, the R&B/psychedelic stylings of Con Brio, the emotional world-pop of Elijah Ray, the expansive, hypnotic sounds of Khruangbin and many more.
NATURE – Outdoor enthusiasts of all ages will delight in the full range of adventurous activities from stand up paddle boarding, musical hikes and adventure runs, to outdoor meditations, kayaking and more. Our open “Uncommons” area will host an array of activities such as aerial yoga, acroyoga, hula hooping, slacklining and more.
MEDITATION –Unplug and get centered with meditation classes from renowned teachers such as Davidji, Amandeep Singh, Christine Baumgartner and more.
TALKS – Attendees will be inspired by the Speakeasy series, a lecture program featuring today’s thought leaders: Bulletproof CEO Dave Asprey will give a talk on diet and lifestyle changes that support a sharper, smarter, faster, more resilient brain; former President of Harpo Studios and final Executive Producer of The Oprah Winfrey Show Sheri Salata shows you how to reframe, redefine and reimagine all areas of your life without anxiety, guilt and self -judgment; Author of the bestselling book Conscious Uncoupling, Katherine Woodward Thomas helps you awaken your power to create happy, healthy, committed love—and more.
FOOD & WINE– The Farm to Table Dinner is a chef-crafted meal sourced from the freshest seasonal produce and locally farmed meats, which promises an incredible fine dining experience. At the Salt + Smoke BBQ, celebrate the best the South has to offer by dancing to live music, and savoring local BBQ (and veggie options) with all the fixings. Or, sample local and imported wine, beer, and libations, plus seasonal hors d’oeuvres at our Uncorked events, accompanied by live music, a bonfire and the setting sun.
Festival attendees will be nourished by a number of Wanderlust partners, including:
•adidas, who will host a one-of-a kind, immersive onsite activation to engage in attendee-led experiences, enabling them to embed more sport into their day and create their best selves at all US-based events. Apparel from the adidas x Wanderlust co-branded collection will be sold at each event.
•Drawing on the healthy lifestyle of Scandinavia, Ole Henriksen skincare combines efficacious powerful actives, natural botanicals and essential fatty acids to exfoliate, treat and soothe skin—resulting in the Ole Glow™. Presenting Glow Tour, a one-of-a-kind discovery experience designed to help attendees reveal their Ole Glow, Ole Henriksen invites festival attendees to stop by for expert skin consultations, hands-on product trials and luxe surprises. Overcome “problem” skin with Ole Henriksen and discover pure radiance from the inside out.
•TY KU Sake, authentically brewed in Nara, Japan—the birthplace of sake—is 100% all natural and completely free of gluten, sulfites and tannins. It’s the perfect way to unwind without undoing the day’s practice. Come by for a special Sake 101 and sample four types of award winning sake.
- Date: August 3-6th
- Location: Whistler, BC
- Tickets and info: From $95, https://wanderlust.com/festivals/whistler/tickets/
Have fun at whichever festival you choose!!! Let us know who you are most looking forward to seeing in the comments below!