Oh, Canada! This Canada Day celebrate our country’s milestone 150th birthday right at home. It’s time to get backyard ready for her big day and I have some easy tips on how you can celebrate in style with home décor, party supplies and clothing from Canadian artists at Etsy.com and picks from the Real Canadian Superstore. It doesn’t get much more Canadian than that, eh?
Natalie’s Tips to Celebrate Canada in Style:
1. Pick a theme. Whether it’s certain Canadiana colours (like red, blue, yellow and green), or full-blown lumberjack plaid, it’s easiest to start when you have one theme to stick to. Throw some maple leaf confetti on the table for some festive fun from Westcoast Stencils (White Rock) on etsy.ca.
2. Find a few small pieces that can last year-round. Adding a few throw pillows, like the Canadian landscape-inspired ones found at the Real Canadian Superstore, can elevate both your indoor and outdoor spaces. And add some patriotic flare to your patio with a maple leaf throw pillow from Nicole Tarasick (Toronto) on etsy.ca for $65.
3. As the celebrations move into the night, you’ll want to ensure that you can still see your guests! Setting out lanterns and candles create the perfect ambiance to share a good laugh, and get a great Insta pic with friends.
4. If you’re one of the many Vancouverites who will spend time camping this summer, bring Canada150-inspired essentials like camping chairs, or fleece blankets!
6. No celebration is complete without great food! Elevate your menu like a true Canuck with s’mores, poutine-infused sausages or maple flavoured marshmallows featured in this summer’s PC® Insiders Collection™. Impress your guests with a delicious meat & cheese spread presented on a bamboo maple leaf serving platter from Love My Local (Vancouver) on etsy.ca for $90.34.
7. And be sure to treat your host of the backyard party with Canadiana-inspired goodies like a linen moose tea towel from G + T Design (Vancouver) for $22!
Now if you’re looking to get out and experience some of Canada’s 150 celebrations here is where the party is at.
Canada Day festivities for the whole family will be offered at Willoughby Community Park on July 1, where the atmosphere will be a little bit country, a little bit barbecue.
The Township of Langley, Langley Events Centre and 93.7 JRfm, are once again partnering to offer the Langley Canada Day JRBQ, along with title sponsor C & D Logistics. The celebration runs from 11am to 6pm on Saturday, July 1, with free admission, free parking, a spray park, food trucks, and a barbecue with proceeds going to Basics for Babies. A Kids’ Zone will keep little ones busy with face painting, mini golf, Pacific Trackless Trains, games, activities and inflatables, and a Canada Day ceremony will take place at 2pm.
Country music performers will take to the main stage to provide live entertainment throughout the day. The newly built Willoughby Amphitheatre will also be in full swing, featuring children’s entertainers, including the Springman Family Band, Dianna David, Norden the Magician, Circus Lab, and the Greater Vancouver Zoo.
•Location: Willoughby Community Park
•Tickets and info: Free, http://www.tol.ca/About-the-Township/Township-Events/Article/1918/Langley-Canada-Day-150-JRBQ or call 604.882.8800.
Bring the whole family down to the beach and spend the day listening to live entertainment at West Beach or visit the Kids Zone at East Beach where bouncy castles, face painting, balloon twisting and a sandcastle competition will keep the kids busy for hours! There is a FREE shuttle between East and West Beach.
– The RE/MAX Sea Stage located beside the White Rock Museum & Archives (14970 Marine Drive) where live music will entertain you all day long!
– The Halfmoon Dentistry Kids Zone at East Beach (Marine Dr & Finlay St) will feature live music, the popular sandcastle event, kids games & activities plus the White Rock Firefighters Charity BBQ.
– 80+ vendors will line the promenade, selling a wide variety of handcrafted items plus some of our local businesses will be onsite selling and be promoting their products.
– A finale of fireworks will conclude the day at approximately 10:15 pm. For best viewing, find a spot anywhere along the waterfront!
Time: 10am – 10:00pm
Location: East and West Beach, White Rock
Don’t miss Western Canada’s largest Canada Day Celebration at Surrey Canada Day!
On July 1st, celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday with ziplining, amusement rides, an Indigenous showcase, trampoline performers and more!
Check out the Canada 150 Zone including a variety of Canadian-themed activites and crafts and amazing local performances.
Rock out with Hedley, Magic!, Chilliwack and so many more incredible Canadian artists!
Plus, stay for the fireworks show at 10:30pm
|Location:||Bill Reid Millennium Amphitheatre, Cloverdale|
Time: 10:00am – 11:00pm
Tickets: Free for all ages!
Canada Day in Abbotsford is filled with sporting fun! Starting at 11am, the 150th birthday celebrations take over the city. Start the day with the Prospera Credit Union parade down South Fraser Way (parade starts at 11am). After that, head on over to the Abbotsford Exhibition Park for family-fun starting at 1pm. Enjoy live entertainment, a food truck festival, community displays, hayrides & mini golf, and dog zone.
There are also pony rides, interactive play zones, and the Abbotsford Arts Council Artisan Market. Finish off the day with a fireworks celebration starting at 10pm at Abbotsford Exhibition Park. Happy Canada Day!
And just for Canada’s 150th birthday, the celebrations are actually starting before July 1st. On June 30th, (6pm – 9pm) everyone is invited to enjoy live entertainment at the Abbotsford Exhibition Park.
Time: 11am – 10:00pm
Location: Parade on South Fraser Way; festival & fireworks at Exhibition Park
Celebrate Canada with 500 Yogis in style!!
McArthurGlen Vancouver will be hosting its Canada Day celebration with Vancouver’s largest outdoor yoga event, a full day of fun festivities for the entire family and the launch of their beloved Summer Sale! Enjoy performances by local jazz artists, exciting games for the little ones and a symphony performance by the Vancouver Pops Orchestra to top off the evening in honour of Canada’s 150th birthday. Visitors can expect a fun filled weekend of exciting events, entertainment and fantastic shopping.
Schedule of Events:
9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Lolë White Tour On The Road (session starts at 10:00 a.m.)
10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. Official kick off of Summer Sale
10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Family-friendly scavenger hunt
11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Face-painting, Foto Bus and games/entertainment
1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. 9 Piece Jazz Funk Band – Camaro 67
4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Vancouver Orchestral Club Symphony performance and birthday celebration. Opening act will lead the crowd in an impactful “O Canada” to celebrate Canada’s 150th. Following the performance, guests will be treated to a Canada-themed cupcake.
With the centre’s close proximity to the Canada Line, all guests are encouraged to take public transit on Canada Day to avoid any delays. McArthurGlen is easily accessible via the Canada Line’s Templeton Station – just 3 minutes from the airport and 20 minutes from downtown Vancouver.
Canada Day at the Sea to Sky Gondola, Squamish, BC
The Sea to Sky Gondola is celebrating in all the most Canadian ways possible with their long weekend events for Canada Day 150. Some of the very Canadian adventures going on include toonie pancakes in the Summit Plaza, axe-throwing, Talking Trees aboriginal interpretive tours, Via-Ferrata climbing, the Helly Hansen Alpine Alley kids tour and more. Guests can fit in all the fun with longer operating hours Friday to Sunday, 10am-8pm with the last ride down at 9pm.
Check out the full event listing here: https://www.seatoskygondola.com/events/canada-day-150th
**For 10 of the best Canada Day Fireworks celebrations in Metro Vancouver check out Daily Hive here.**
Natalie’s Canada150 Giveaway
To commemorate Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation I’m giving two lucky listeners a chance to win BIG!
We have a prize pack from President’s Choice with PC Maple marshmallows, a gift card and a candle! Value $70
For another lucky JRFM listener were giving away a pair of tickets to Lolë White Tour On The Road at McArthurGlen listen for your chance to CALL IN to WIN!
*****Congrats to ASHLEY PUCILLO from Maple Ridge who called in to win!!
To Enter: Tell us why you love being Canadian in the comments below (make sure to include your email address)!
Contest is now closed congratulations to Melissa Stenerson.
Good luck!!! Happy 150th Canada!!!
**Contest Rules & Regulations**
The winner agrees to abide by the rules and regulations outlined here http://www.jrfm.com/contestrules/ for pick up at #300-1401 West 8th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V6H 1C9. Office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm.
All prizes must be claimed within 60 days at the offices of CJJR-FM and are non-transferable. After 60 days, prize becomes the property of CJJR-FM, to do with as it may determine, including awarding it to another contestant, and CJJR-FM shall be released and discharged from any liability or responsibility in this regard.
Only ONE member of the household will be eligible to qualify or win in any single Contest.
By entering the Contest, all persons are deemed to have read and to have accepted these rules and regulations.