Scroll down to the end of the blog for your chance to win!!!
It’s so great that summer holidays have arrived and we all love those more relaxed unstructured days. But sometimes throughout those lazy summer days it’s helpful to keep the brain active and refresh those basic skills from time to time. This way it’s not so much of a shocker in September when school is back in session.
Here are a few beneficial tips on how kids or any of us can keep learning this summer!
1.Read, read, read! Get into a new, exciting book or series that you find interesting. It’s a great way to escape into another world and much more academically sound than Instagram, Pinterest or Facebook!
2. Unplug + Meditate. Studies show that you can get more done – and do it better- by doing less, just by consciously unplugging for a few minutes each day and meditating.
The revolutionary book Unplug brilliantly simplifies this powerful practice and shows the overwhelmed and overworked how easy it is to unplug in order to relieve stress, regain focus, and recharge.
Indigo wants to help you unwind and unplug this summer… see bottom of this post for contest details!
3. Start a new hobby or activity. Try guitar lessons, dance or art classes, whatever you’re into! Learning something new definitely activates the brain and gets you going!
4. Don’t forget the math! For kids of all ages take time to sharpen those basic math facts. Rev your speed with multiplication and division practice and be on top of your game. Great for retention and brain stimulation for sure!
5. Writing – whether you do a little journaling or writing poetry or even get into a creative writing story, it can all be fun and extremely beneficial to brush up on descriptiveness, spelling and basic grammar.
6. Travel – experiencing new places and encountering different people and cultures is always an education in itself. We need to learn and appreciate other places in the world. Travelling opens up new doors to new encounters that are invaluable throughout our lives.
7. Continue Education. Check out STEM Education and After School Programs with Sylvan Learning. Try the 1 week camps focusing on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math – STEM offered at various centres including Richmond, Delta, Maple Ridge, West Vancouver, and North Vancouver.
Their week-long coding camp helps kids learn coding and programming basics in a very kid-friendly way. In their Game Design courses, students learn computer programming by building cool projects, creating animations, sound effects and building actual video games. They also know how much kids love building with Legos. It brings out their imagination and creativity, but their new Robotics courses take it so much further. Students have a blast while getting exposure to critical STEM skills and working as young scientists, engineers, and mathematicians!
Not only this, did you know kids can lose up to 2-1/2 months of learning over the summer without continued skill practice? Sylvan keeps kids one step ahead and avoids summer learning loss by factoring some CORE programs of reading, writing or math into their full day camps.
**Contest details at the bottom of this post**
To find out more information, you can check out: https://www.sylvanlearning.com/edge.
But the most important suggestion is to choose something to learn that excites you or that you’re passionate about and that perhaps you haven’t tried before. Be adventurous, challenge yourself and have fun learning this summer!
Natalie’s Keep the Learning Going Giveaway
Indigo wants to help you unwind and unplug this summer with a copy of Unplug to one lucky listener! Value $30!
And for another lucky JRFM listener we are giving you the chance to send your kid to a WEEK-LONG FULL DAY CAMP that includes: Robotics, Coding, and CORE* programs with Sylvan Learning Centre, Maple Ridge location!
9am – 3pm – August 8-11 – Value is $280.00!!!!!!!!!
*(CORE: Reading, Writing, & Math)
To Enter: Tell us which prize you’d like to WIN + what you plan on doing to keep your brain active this summer in the comments below, along with your full name + email!
Good luck! Cheers to learning something NEW this Summer!!
**Contest Rules & Regulations**
The winner agrees to abide by the rules and regulations outlined here http://www.jrfm.com/contestrules/ for pick up at #300-1401 West 8th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V6H 1C9. Office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm.
All prizes must be claimed within 60 days at the offices of CJJR-FM and are non-transferable. After 60 days, prize becomes the property of CJJR-FM, to do with as it may determine, including awarding it to another contestant, and CJJR-FM shall be released and discharged from any liability or responsibility in this regard.
Only ONE member of the household will be eligible to qualify or win in any single Contest.
By entering the Contest, all persons are deemed to have read and to have accepted these rules and regulations.