Do you have the mid-week blues? I have some great recipes that will help you get back up on your feet to wrap up the week with a smile on your face!
My family and I took a drive down to MSB Farms in Abbotsford. Not only does MSB farms have the most delicious blueberries you’ve ever tasted, it is also gorgeous. Imagine a winery but with plump berries you can pick right off the vines. I drive out to MSB Farms in blueberry season every year because I absolutely love the family who runs the company. They always remember me a year later, and are so caring about their product and their customers. I end up leaving with a blueberry ice cream for the road (on the house). They have the biggest blueberries and they grow them with all natural ingredients.
MSB Farm is a family owned and operated business located in the picturesque Matsqui flats of North Abbotsford. The fertile soil produces some of the best blueberries in the Fraser Valley. They grow and sell many different varieties, which are are carefully selected so that customers get a premium product (no bad blueberries in the whole batch). They’ve been serving customers for 15 years and providing stellar service alongside our stellar blueberries. They also sell dozens of blueberry related recipes, and they are all as good as the berries themselves!
Every summer I buy fresh blueberries and freeze about 5 lbs in individual freezer bags for my morning smoothies, these are the sweetest blue’s ever and they are stocked with antioxidants. Blueberries are also a great source of Vitamin K and Vitamin C – they’re tasty and healthy; my favourite combo.
Since my fridge, freezer and counter are blueberry stacked, I have nailed down some of the best summer blueberry recipes.
This banana-blueberry smoothie is to-die-for. I’m dairy-free and found this recipe on a great dairy free blog Go Dairy Free. The best part is that the MSB frozen blueberries are so big and juicy they blend down very smooth!
1 very ripe banana, cut into 2 in chunks
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (MSB Farms of course)
- 1 cup original or vanilla milk alternative (I like coconut, Gary likes coconut milk but I’m allergic)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup fresh or frozen spinach
- Toss it all in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Add ice to desired consistency, ENJOY
Purple Oatmeal, otherwise known as blueberries and cream Oatmeal is the best dessert..oops..I mean breakfast I’ve had in a long time. The secret tip is to start out with cold water, it’s the secret to the creamy texture. Kitchen Treaty has a great recipe.
1 cup rolled oats (not the quick-cooking kind)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup whole milk (2% milk and almond milk also work) + a few extra tablespoons for serving
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup fresh blueberries (about 5 ounces total)
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- More optional toppings: additional maple syrup and almonds or pepitas
- Add oats, water, milk, chia seeds, maple syrup, and 1 cup blueberries to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer until the oats have thickened and most of the berries have burst, turning the oatmeal purple, about 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Scoop into bowls and divide remaining berries between the two. Drizzle with milk. Add optional toppings if desired. Serve.
Blueberry Ice Cream:
If I’m sure of one thing, it’s that MSB farms makes the best blueberry ice cream in the world, but I have the key to the second best. This A Sweet Spoonful recipe is dairy-free, light and best showcased with in-season plump blueberries. It’s a great way to use some of your fresh berries before they go bad. Take a peek at A Sweet Spoonful for the detailed recipe.
Thank-you MSB Farms, for supplying the lower mainland with such delicious, healthy blueberries.
Enter to WIN 10lbs of beautiful plump blueberries and 2 litres of homemade blueberry ice cream.
Winner must pick-up at MSB Farms in Abbotsford.
Let us know your favorite blueberry-stacked treat in the comments below for your chance to WIN. Be sure to include your name and e-mail address in your post.
Contest is now closed, congratulations to Janet Kong!
Happy Blueberry Eating!
**Contest Rules & Regulations**
The winner agrees to abide by the rules and regulations outlined here http://www.jrfm.com/contestrules/ for pick up at #300-1401 West 8th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V6H 1C9. Office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm.
All prizes must be claimed within 60 days at the offices of CJJR-FM and are non-transferable. After 60 days, prize becomes the property of CJJR-FM, to do with as it may determine, including awarding it to another contestant, and CJJR-FM shall be released and discharged from any liability or responsibility in this regard.
Only ONE member of the household will be eligible to qualify or win in any single Contest.
By entering the Contest, all persons are deemed to have read and to have accepted these rules and regulations.